Once you’ve done your research and decided to use CBD oil on your dog, the next question you should ask yourself is how much you should administer. You want to find the optimal dose to alleviate the condition you’re trying to treat, but not overdose the dog on the product.
CBD oil can provide relief for dogs experiencing a number of conditions. It is extremely effective in dogs who struggle with anxiety. It also has a marked impact on the health of dogs suffering from degenerative conditions. The general aches and pain that accompany aging can be mitigated with CBD oil.
How to determine the CBD dose for your dog
The general principles a vet will apply to determine a dose limit for your dog are the same as those applied to humans. Your vet will look at what the CBD oil is being used for and the size and weight of the dog. He/she will also consider interactions with any other medications the dog is being treated with.
- The nature of the ailment.
- The size of the pet. A ratio of CBD to weight is used to determine the correct dose.
- The specific needs of the individual pet.
The following rules of thumb apply when calculating a dose for your dog:
- You are looking at using approximately 0.33mg of CBD per pound (lbs) of weight. So, if a dog weighs 15 lbs, your dose will be 5mg of CBD per serving, but no more than two such servings per day.
- It is recommended that you don’t go over a total dose of 20mg a day regardless of the size of the dog. This is unless you are advised otherwise by a medical professional.
- Always start at the bottom end of the dose spectrum. For that 15 lbs dog, it would be best to start at 2.5mg a day and see if it has the desired effect. You can determine if the dog has no adverse reaction to the CBD oil. You can also see if the desired effect in the treatment of your dog’s condition is evident.
As there are a number of parameters to consider in order recommend the most suitable dosage it is best to speak to your pet’s vet to come to the right decision. The vet should be able to advise you on splitting the dose and tell you how many doses your pet will need each day. Most will start off on a smaller dose. This is to make sure that pet tolerates the CBD oil well.
How many doses should I administer each day?
CBD oil is at its most effective for up to 4 hours. So, you should take the daily dose and divide it into doses that last roughly 4-6 hours. This is the best way to take advantage of the full effect of the CBD oil. If you give the dose in one go, it has a sedating effect. Smaller doses have more of a stimulating effect.
What products are there to treat my dog with CBD oil?
You can buy a variety of cannabis products for dogs. You get CBD oil, CBD treats, or CBD oils. You should try them all to see which one delivers the cannabis to your dog’s system most efficiently.
Why should I consider CBD oil products for my dog?
CBD has enormous healing properties. It interacts with the endocannabinoid system in the body. This helps to maintain homeostasis (balance) in the body and promotes a general sense of well-being. It’s a natural product and requires less processing by the kidneys.
Will my dog get ‘high’ if I use CBD oil to treat it?
The short answer is no. CBD products contain little to no THC or Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the substance in cannabis plant that causes one to get high. Verified CBD products do not contain any THC, but should you choose to go with any other brands make sure to check the amount of THC in their produce.
If you discover that your dog does act a bit strange after treatment with CBD oil, it could be because of:
- An overdose. If you give your dog too much CBD oil, he/she could become groggy and less responsive. However, don’t be worried, as naturally extracted CBD used in Verified CBD products does not have any major or lasting side-effects, thus in a few hours your dog will be the same again.
- The quality of your product. When you don’t buy you CBD oil from a reputable source, its ingredients may contain chemicals that disagree with your dog. Your vet will recommend products that are safe to use. They come from established manufacturers that do not ‘cut’ the product with other substances.
The short-term and long-term benefits of treating your dog with CBD oil are evident. Some dogs may not respond to the treatment in the way you’d hoped for. But, on the whole, CBD oil treatment can be life-changing for a desperate doggie owner.
If you liked this article, please explore the rest of our blog!